Tetanus is a lethal condition and death is generally due to respiratory arrest.
1. Lung complications- These are the common causes of death.
• Pulmonary infection.
• Aspiration of pharyngeal contents into the lungs.
• Vigorous spasm of the respiratory muscles with laryngeal spasm.
• Pulmonary embolism.
2. Death may occur from drug intoxication.
3. Anemia and exhaustion which may be so severe.
4. Hyperpyrexia and effects of exotoxin on the brain may cause
5. Anaphylactic reactions.
6. Compression of fracture of the vertebrae, especially thoracic vertebrae.
7. Complication of co-existing diseases.
Do you know-