The measures to prevent dental caries are as follow-
1. Adequate diet should be administered to the mother during pregnancy to ensure adequate nutrition for the future child.
2. After the eruption of teeth, the consumption of sugars, should be kept low and proportionate increase in the intake of milk, butter, cheese, vegetable, fruits, eggs, fish and meet to be made.
3. Sufficient roughage should be present in the food.
4.Snacks should not be eaten between meals. Sweats if eaten at all should be eaten at meal time only.
5. Teeth should be cleaned with a toothbrush in the correct manner.
6. Adjustment of the fluoride content of the public water supply between 1.0 and 1.2 p.p.m. is the most promising measure to control dental caries.